Thursday, September 25, 2008

Happy Birthday, Enegue!


Kudos to my Brother, Gene!
He is the sixth child and third son in our huge, wonderful family! He is the one named after Dad, Harry B. but we call him Gene instead of Harry E.

Through the years I have learned he is talented in many ways...sports, music, drama, and poetry. He has been called many names...Son, Bro, Dad, Dear, Mr. Fixit, Bishop Lyman, Opa, Grandpa, Elder Lyman, Gene-o. He and Craig had something going back and forth with jughead and meatball, too!

The other day, one of my granddaughters was visiting and she asked me where one of my dolls came from. I said it came from my brother, Gene. He was in France and sent it home to me as a gift when I was not much older than she is. It is one of the few dolls I have that are intact.
There are other fond memories of him... I remember his big black car that he kept neat and tidy. I remember him singing in his barbershop quartet. I remember him in his Air Force uniform. I remember him attending OU, USU, and BYU. I remember floating in the Great Salt Lake with him and other family members. I remember camping. I remember him always being willing to help out in any way he could. I remember watching him as he cared for and supported his family. He has always been a spiritual leader in his home. He loves his daughters and their families and is a great influence on them. I've been in the Temple with him several times. I've enjoyed seeing more of him (+ JoAnn) the past few years and will always be amazed at his performance at the 2004 reunion as Grandpa Amasa. Oh, as King Arthur at Epcot too!
I pay tribute to you today, Gene, on your birthday. You are one of the best! Have a great day!

2 comments:

Rach said...

happy birthday Opa :)

JoAnn said...

Thanks Vicki for the beautiful tribute to your dear bro. He means a great deal to me too! I love him dearly!!! love to both you and Perry, JoAnn