Tuesday, September 23, 2008

On Friendship ~ Chapter Four

Follow the advice of Victoria Rayner, author
The Survival Guide for Today's Career Woman:
  • Be a good listener; refrain from offering advice or moralizing.

  • Respect your friend's point of view. Different personalities can complement each other; it isn't always necessary to see eye to eye.

  • Never betray a trust. Trust, when violated, can ruin even the best friendship.

  • Support and praise your friends; ignore their failures and imperfections.

  • Never resent a friend's success. Instead, strive to admire her achievements.

  • Flexibility is always important for maintaining friendships. Be understanding when your friend has a last minute change in plans. Learn to accept "I'm sorry to cancel. Another time?”

  • When paths begin to separate (you are married; she isn't or you have a baby; she is still childless) at forks in the road of life, that is the most important time of all to stay in touch with friends.

  • When there is conflict, it must be resolved for friendship to continue. Confrontation is one way to resolve conflict. Talking it out is another.


The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend. I have no wealth to bestow on him. If he knows that I am happy in loving him, he will want no other reward. Is not friendship divine in this? ~Henry David Thoreau

"O Remember, Remember" our days of Brownie and Girls Scouts… “Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other is gold.”

No comments: