Friday, September 26, 2008

On Friendship ~ Chapter Six

The Best of Friends
There are many examples of true friendship in the scriptures, but perhaps noting three will suffice: Jonathan and David, Ruth and Naomi, Alma and the sons of Mosiah. A common thread runs through them all—namely, that living the gospel and being true to gospel principles is the key to true, lasting, triumphant friendship. Weak bonds and less spiritual relationships will not hold up when confronted by a wicked person such as David and Jonathan faced, or an unbelieving background such as Ruth had known, or the youthful transgressions of the younger Alma and the sons of Mosiah. In each case it was gospel principles, commitments, associations, and covenants that led to these strong ties and triumphant friendships
As Jesus concluded his mortal ministry, he said to his disciples, “Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
“Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you” (John 15:14–15).
Real friends share the Gospel of Jesus Christ-the living of it and the loving of it. No stronger bond or higher compliment can be given from one friend to another.
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

No comments: