Wednesday, August 31, 2011

How can this be?

This summer I chose a new dermatologist and he found basal cell skin cancer on my shoulder and near my eye.  He removed the one on my shoulder and later with further tests on an annoying cyst? (misdiagnosed) on my back came the diagnosis of desmoplastic melanoma skin cancer. He referred me to Huntsman Cancer Clinic immediately. After June and July, August came good news through an MRI and a CT scan as well as lymph node biopsy and two more surgeries (the second surgery taking one inch margins from the previous surgery) that it had not metastasised. They will be meeting in a conference later on this month regarding my case and barring anything unforeseen I go back for a checkup to Huntsman Cancer Clinic in Feb 2012.  I'm grateful for many prayers, a Priesthood blessing, and skilled medical personnel and facility.

First surgery

Steri strips for 2nd surgery with one inch margins
Scar
This was my first experience with general anesthesia which surprised some of the medical personnel.  I did fine and lortab took care of the immediate pain. Now that the steri-strips are removed and the incision is healed, I'm relying on my Mother's best prescription as I recover from the tenderness and soreness...a nice warm bath!
My sister, Norma, came and stayed a few days with me and our daughter, Nicole, came over to help where needed.  Friends and neighbors dropped by with healthy meals and snacks. There were thoughtful cards and notes and phone calls as well as beautiful flowers. My husband has been the best...trying to make me comfortable and caring for the incision and keeping things in order at home.  I am blessed!

PS I have much more empathy with people who deal with pain.  Is that my lesson?

No comments: